Special Olympics Louisiana is proud to send a delegation of 6 to Los Angeles, California today to compete in the 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games. Our athletes and unified partner took off from the airport bright and early this morning to join the rest of the team representing Special Olympics USA. Be sure to wish them good luck in the comments below!
Louisiana will be sending a delegation of six to the Games that include 4 athletes, 1 partner, and 1 sport manager. They will be a part of Special Olympics USA!
Also, we are happy to announce that Opening Ceremonies will be televised LIVE on ESPN on July 25th! Be sure to watch with your family and friends!
As most of you know, our 2014 State Fall Classic took place this past weekend in Carencro, LA. Close to 400 athletes from all across this state of Louisiana participated in aquatics, horseshoes, and softball!
When asked what his favorite part of the weekend was, Channing Ewing, an athlete from our Northwest Area, stated “I really enjoyed the dance and scaring a few people (Channing dressed as a werewolf to the Halloween themed dance)!! I also liked the jambalaya that I had for supper Saturday night. I thought the fields, dugouts, and restroom facility were great. They were a major improvement compared to last year.”
Comment with your feedback of the weekend! You can also stay tuned to our website and all of our social media pages for upcoming events in your area!
Relive the excitement and the best moments of the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games, from the opening ceremony to the competitions and award ceremonies. Can you spot Team Louisiana?
At the recent 2014 USA Games, Special Olympics Louisiana Southwest athlete, Virgilene Cagle won a gold medal in her softball throw division. She was awarded her gold medal by none other than, Special Olympics Chairman of the Board, Doctor Tim Shriver. We love watching Virgilene’s excitement in this video and think it’s perfect for Medal Monday!
On June 30 at 6PM CST, a first in the history of Special Olympics USA Games will occur and we want YOU to be a part of it! Thanks to USA Games Founding Partners WWE and 21st Century Fox, the first-ever nationally televised show, recapping a USA Games, will be broadcast on FOX Sports 1.
“Celebrating Champions” is a one-hour television event that will celebrate the Games, highlight competition, ceremonies, special events, Special Olympics initiatives, and most importantly, will show the Games through the eyes of the athletes themselves. One of the featured athletes, is Louisiana’s very own, Theodore Bazille! Check out the teaser video here: Post by Special Olympics USA Games.
We want to get as many people as possible to tune in so we are asking YOU to join us in getting the word out!
What do you need to do? Watch!
- Mark your calendar now to tune in at 6PM CST on June 30 to watch “Celebrating Champions” on FOX Sports 1
- Not sure if you get FOX Sports 1? Visit www.foxsports1.com and enter your zip code and cable provider to find your local FOX Sports 1 channel number and/or availability.
- Don’t have FOX Sports 1 where you live? No problem! It will be streamed on the FOX Sports Go App (free) as well. Download the App now: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsportsgo/
- Have a viewing party! Gather your friends, family, colleagues and teammates to watch this one-time-only broadcast of “Celebrating Champions.” Then share your viewing party photos with us. We want to see who has the biggest, best and/or most spirited viewing parties in the USA! Remember to tag the 2014 USA Games, FOX Sports 1 and WWE so lots of people see your awesome photos!
The final awards are in! Team Louisiana did phenomenal at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games and we couldn’t be more proud of them! They are bringing home 47 gold medals, 36 silver medals, 34 bronze medals, 43 fourth place ribbons, 10 fifth place ribbons, 6 sixth place ribbons, 3 seventh place ribbons and 3 eighth place ribbons. That is a grand total of 182 awards!!!
– To see all of the individual scores and results, please click here.
– To view the photo album from this week, please visit our photo album.